Tired of boring breakfasts? Sweeten your mornings and fuel your day with this filling protein-packed blueberry oatmeal!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please see my full disclosure for further information.
While there are lots of healthy breakfasts out there, few compare to the goodness of classic oatmeal. Filled with soluble fiber and antioxidants, oatmeal is a whole food that is equally as guilt-free as it is delicious.
In addition to my savory oatmeal with egg, I wanted to show my other go-to oatmeal recipe for when a sweet breakfast strikes your fancy. Because of its bland taste, oatmeal is the perfect blank canvas to add all of your favorite flavors. Plus, you can add whatever ingredients you want to make this oatmeal exciting for you every morning.
Experiment with other frozen or fresh fruit, or recreate a favorite dessert with oatmeal as the base. Sounds crazy until you create something amazing!
This particular oatmeal can be a regular go-to week over week. The fruit is frozen, and the other ingredients are dry and can be kept in the pantry. Since all of the ingredients in this oatmeal can be kept for a while, it’s a great nutrient-dense breakfast that can hang out in your kitchen until you need it.
The Secret to Staying Full All Morning
The protein added in this oatmeal is essential to keeping you full throughout the morning. Including a protein powder and a nut butter adds extra protein to your oats, meaning you won’t be thinking about your appetite until well after lunch. There is also the additional benefit of the extra delicious flavors to pack onto your breakfast. Double win!
While protein powder isn’t essential to this recipe, it’s great to have in your kitchen. Protein powder can add extra flavor to smoothies, banana nice cream, and other healthy desserts. If you don’t want to commit to a full protein powder purchase without trying it first, you can pick up samples at places like the Vitamin Shoppe.
Keep reading for the full recipe below!
Ingredients – Blueberry Oatmeal with Almond Butter
- 1/2 Cup oats
- 1 Cup water or plant milk
- 1/4 frozen banana
- 1/2 Cup frozen blueberries
- 1 heaping Tbsp almond butter
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1/2 Tbsp protein powder
- Drizzle of honey
Instructions – Blueberry Oatmeal with Almond Butter
- Start by heating your water or plant milk on the stove. Chop the frozen banana into small pieces and add that to the water. It will soften as the oatmeal cooks, giving a subtle sweetness without chunks of banana.
- Next, cook your oatmeal to your desired consistency. The protein powder and cacao powder will thicken the oatmeal and absorb moisture when added, so keep that in mind.
- Once cooked, add in your protein powder and cacao powder and mix well. Place the oatmeal in a bowl and top with the almond butter, chia seeds, honey, and frozen blueberries.
I hope you enjoyed this simple oatmeal recipe! Eating healthier doesn’t have to be difficult, and it sure can be tasty. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!