Put the pasta sauce back on the shelf and enjoy this easy brown butter pasta with veggies!
Pasta is one of those dishes that’s pretty much a home run every time. My mom grew up making a handful of awesome meals, and spaghetti was always top of the list.
I think we all have nostalgia for certain dinners, and for many of us pasta just makes us feel at home. There’s a reason Olive Garden is so popular! Most of us don’t want to eat pasta every night (I mean we do, but we also want to fit into our pants) so when we do, it needs to be good.
This brown butter pasta is rich and delicious. It’s a little different than the alfredo or red sauce pasta that’s the typical go-to. This makes it a great quick dish to have on hand to mix things up. I always work hard to squeeze veggies into all of my recipes, especially pasta. So I put my own twist on this classic dish to give it a little more green. A few benefits to incorporating veggies into your pasta include:
- Keeps vegetables from going bad – just toss in what you have
- Steam them with the noodles (one less dish)
- More nutrients
- More variations with the same meal
Other vegetables that work great with this recipe:
- Green Beans
Try these other tasty recipes: Savory Morning Oatmeal Recipe with Egg for a Hearty Twist | The Only Vegetable Soup You Need this Winter | Savory Vegan Black Bean Sweet Potato Tacos
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please see my full disclosure for further information.
Quick tips for best results:
- Look for quality ingredients. This pasta dish doesn’t have very many ingredients, so searching for quality is key.
- Aim for fresh. I make this dish so much I bought my own basil plant for less than it costs to buy a bunch in the store. Win!
- Take time and enjoy. Making a new dinner can be daunting. The simple ingredients in this recipe make it easier to sip on some good red wine and enjoy the process.
Brown Butter Pasta Ingredients
1/3 C unsalted butter
32 grape tomatoes
10 oz pasta (about 5 servings)
1 1/2 C fresh broccoli (frozen is ok too)
3/4 C Parmesan, finely grated
Small handful of basil leaves
3 garlic cloves
Salt & Pepper to Taste
Brown Butter Pasta Instructions
- Begin with bringing a stock pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta (you can do this later if you have artisanal pasta that takes less time). Once boiling, toss in the pasta and set a timer for 4 minutes sooner than the instructions recommend. This additional time will be used to steam the vegetables.
- After that, heat the butter in a large saucepan on medium heat. Cut it into small cubes for more even melting. While the butter melts, cut your grape tomatoes into halves.
- Once your butter is browned, a little foamy, and emitting a nutty aroma (~ 4 minutes), toss in the tomatoes.
- When the timer for the pasta goes off, toss into the pot any vegetables you want with the dish to steam. Let the pasta finish with the vegetables for 4 minutes.
- While the pasta finishes up with the vegetables, mince the garlic and chop the basil. Once finished, toss in the herbs with the tomatoes.
- Next, drain the pasta and vegetables when the timer goes off. Put everything together in the sauce pan and stir through. Add in the parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
- Finally, enjoy with your favorite red wine and add this recipe to your weekly must-eats!
Get creative with what you have in the fridge! Have fun with this quick and delicious brown butter pasta recipe that will mix up your pasta nights in the best way.