In this post, I talked a lot about how I beat my sugar cravings. My life is all about balance, and some situations and occasions do call for sugary treats, and when that happens I have a ton of vegan recipes to make sure I’m taking care of my body even when indulging.
I came across this chocolate chip cookie recipe on the Food Network and it is simply amazing. I added sea salt instead of regular salt to the recipe because I am a ~~chef~~ and it did not work for the cookies but they still turned out ok. Unless you are a professional chef/seasoned baker that knows when to take liberties, I recommend sticking to the recipe!
½ cup virgin coconut oil
½ cup packed light brown sugar
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ¼ cup spelt flour
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup vegan chocolate chips or chunks
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking tray with parchment paper or tin foil, shiny side down.
2. Beat the coconut oil and brown sugar together until smooth (my food processor worked great for this), and then stir in the applesauce and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, stir the spelt flour, cornstarch, flaxseed, baking soda and salt together. Add this to the sugar mixture and stir until blended, then stir in the chocolate chunks.
4. Optional – freeze batter for about 15 minutes to harden the mixture. This will make scooping and rolling the dough much easier.
5. Scoop teaspoonfuls of dough onto the baking tray, leaving 1 ½-inches between each cookie and press the cookie down a little.
6. Bake the cookies for 11 to 13 minutes, until they just begin to brown a little. Cool the cookies on the tray and then store in an airtight container.
. . .
And that’s it! Pretty easy right? One thing I love about vegan cookies is that the cook time is always pretty quick and you can eat bits of the dough along the way without the worry of the dreaded salmonella. If you serve these to your friends and family, they will have no idea that they are vegan!
What are your favorite vegan sweet treats?
Thanks for stopping by!